Friday, October 20, 2006

Fate / Stay Night - the game -

Note: This may come as a shock to many people who have been reading this blog for a while now, but I have posted two posts on the same night. Yes, it's true. Two. This is the second one, so if you haven't already, check out the other post below (on the "Blogger Identity").

I bought the game version of Fate/Stay Night this past week, and received it via EMS on Thursday. There was no choice in my buying it, at least not in my mind. The series was one of the most intriguing of last season (at least next to NHK ni Youkoso!), and had impressive art and character designs. Lest we forget the story, it had some to spare, and we are left to wonder at the breadth of history that Type-Moon created for the game (it spans all the way back to ancient times, with detail to spare - a feat not accomplished since Rahxephon). And as for the music, its intro was by far the best of the assorted shows (save for Puzzle) that I've seen in the past year.


It arrived in a small package. Up until this point in time I'd never bought an eroge before, and certainly had never had the opportunity to hold one in my hands. In fact, the desire to possess one had never disturbed the solid refuge of my soul, until the beauty of the anime series tore into that barrier like grapeshot. And now here I sit, staring at this blog entry on one screen, and Fate/Stay Night - the game - on the other. Wow.

And then it hits me: this is a visual novel. Keyword there, novel. Not "novel," as in new and interesting, but novel, as in an extended work of prose or fiction. The second keyword here is extended. For all intents and purposes, extended here means: way more Japanese than I understand. And that's what hit me. With a game so focused on accompanying textual prompts, how am I supposed to slog through all the dialogue and descriptions (that I can't understand) to get to the good parts (by this I mean the fight scenes and dramatic pictures that accompany the text)?

So I give up. Like Nana, in Dan Kim's Nana's Everyday Life.

Note: The good news is that the translation group Mirror-Moon has finished translating the Fate scenario into English, and will likely have it done by the end of the year (crossing my fingers).

10 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont know any Japanese, but i own like 20 galge. Yay! And no, i dont buy them for the dirty parts. Its just part of the obsession. Oh all the money ive wasted on things i dont understand at all :'O And i actually sit there and go thru them all too, i think i probably have something wrong with me. Weeeee

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh btw, Fate/Hollow-Ataraxia > Stay-Night.

Bazett makes it atleast 100 times better.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I can't believe you can actually go through the whole thing. That's dedication. And Fate/Hollow Ataraxia is definitely on my "to get" list.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finished the FSN game a couple of months ago (bought the game after having watched the anime). I was pretty much blown away by the story in the game and the awesome characters. I haven't seen an RPG or any other games with a better storyline and I've been gaming for over 20 years. The story in the anime was really mediocre compared to the game.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Michael said...

That's awesome to hear, because I loved the anime (barring the first ten episodes), and have high hopes for the game.

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you get the game from?

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Michael said...

There are a couple places that still have it...

Palet Web

Himeya

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyone who knows where to download the game? I have no way to buy it where I am, so I am on the lookout for any way to download the game. Fate Stay Night rocks!!!

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Emcivy said...

>_< hope no one get angry if i tell an ilegal way of how to donwload the game? ^_^U sry in any case just delete the comment, if thats the case im really sorry.

You may donwload the game from: here

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anyone can tell me how to download the game??i'm getting headache over this matter...!i went to the mirrormoon..but somehow it gets error or something.. somebody, please help me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home